With the hustle and bustle of life these days, it can be difficult to round the family up for two hours and settle in to enjoy a movie together. And that’s exactly why family movie nights are such memorable occasions. Between making popcorn, picking a room of the house to settle into (or part of the yard to settle into if you’re opting to view the flick on an inflatable movie screen), there’s also the all-important duty of selecting the title to watch — and often, it’s this latter task that can be the most difficult.
On that note, we present some of the best family-friendly movies from 2014 that you can rent or download now for immediate viewing:
Family-Friendly Favorites of 2014
The LEGO Movie: The recent craze of LEGO-themed everything may seem a bit odd, but if you take the time to watch some of the shows and associated media, you’ll see they’re also a ton of fun. The LEGO Movie is no different. It features an all-star voice cast of Will Ferrell, Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, and Morgan Freeman, to name a few, and is considered an action-adventure comedy.
- Big Hero 6: Arguably the surprise hit of 2014, Big Hero 6 is an animated superhero comedy featuring kid genius Hiro, the robot Baymax and their cast of friends. One of the best-reviewed movies of 2014, Big Hero 6 is also high on fun.
- Maleficent: Starring Angelina Jolie, this Sleeping Beauty remake is all about the villain’s story. The set pieces are imaginative in this fantasy world, and it’s a must-see movie for anyone who liked the classic tale.
- Planes: Fire & Rescue: If you’ve got young kids, Planes: Fire & Rescue is sure to be a hit. It’s a sequel to Planes, where Dusty Crophopper becomes a member of a rescue team after engine issues prevent him from racing. Don’t expect to be blown away by an intricate plot, but this sequel is high on fun and anchored by a solid voice cast.
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day: This live action movie based off the 1972 children’s book is anchored by a strong cast starring A-listers Steve Carell and Jennifer Gardner.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1: While this isn’t an ideal family film if you’ve got young children, it’s a strong contender if your kids are in their pre-teen or teenage years — especially if they’re fans of “The Hunger Games” book trilogy. Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Julianne Moore, and Josh Hutcherson, the strong cast brings the books to life on the big screen.
- Into the Woods: Featuring an all-star cast, this movie based on the Tony-award winning musical is an assortment of various classic fairy tales.
Next time you’re planning a family movie night, consider some of the selections from 2014 that we’ve listed above. And if you’re looking to take your family movie night to the next level, consider watching it on an inflatable movie screen out in the yard under the stars rather than from your living room. For more information, contact us today.