While the spring and summer seasons are the times of the year when the so-called “popcorn flicks” and big budget blockbusters come to the silver screen, these nice weather periods are also an ideal time to host a movie party of your own – perhaps even in your backyard on an inflatable movie screen. So in between catching Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America: Civil War, and all the other blockbusters coming to the big screen soon, here’s a look at some films that are arriving on DVD and Blu-Ray soon that you can pop in for your own screening parties:
New Releases for Your Movie Parties
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (April 5): Last Christmas’ mega hit set all kinds of box office records – and it’s sure to be a hot purchase when it’s released on DVD and Blu-Ray April 5. Alas, you can have one heck of a Star Wars viewing party, watching both trilogies and now The Force Awakens.
- The Forest (April 12): Coming to video formats on April 12, The Forest is one of the creepiest fact-based horror films we’ve seen in a while. If you want to host a horror movie party, be sure to also look out for Krampus on April 26 and The Boy when it becomes available on May 10.
- The Revenant (April 19): Leonardo DiCaprio finally won an Oscar for his role in one of this year’s Academy Award darlings, and now you can see why when The Revenant comes to video formats on April 19.
- Ride Along 2 (April 26): If you’re in the mood for a comedy, then Kevin Hart and Ice Cube’s Ride Along 2 is a fun watch. You can even have a bit of a double feature and watch the original Ride Along as well.
- Jane Got a Gun (April 26): While this Western crime action/drama is a far cry from Star Wars, it reunites Star Wars prequel alums Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor. The movie didn’t get a wide release and the script was actually shelved for a long time, but the movie is still worth taking in if you have the time.
- Joy (May 3): While Joy may not be one of David O. Russell’s best films, it’s still a great watch – namely for the performances of Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro. Maybe you can have an Oscar movie night where you watch a double feature of The Revenant and Joy?
- The Finest Hours (May 24): The Finest Hours didn’t quite get the box office returns that the studio was looking for, but it’s a great, fact-based, fast-moving story about a daring Coast Guard rescue that’s definitely worth your time.
So whether you want to blast off to a galaxy far, far away, laugh, or scare yourself and your guests silly, there’s something for everyone coming out on video formats in the coming weeks. It’s up to you, however, to do the rest.