February is what you might consider the “dog days of Hollywood.” All of the studios have already released their Oscar hopefuls and are currently churning out the movies that they don’t necessarily have huge hopes for in terms of revenue or racking up awards. That being said, there’s a good chance you’ll be staying away from the movie theater until spring, when the first batch of blockbusters are usually released. But just because you’ll be staying away from the local cinemas doesn’t mean you can’t catch up on some of your all-time favorites. Fitting to the season, here’s a look at the top 5 movies we recommend you check out, or revisit, in February:
- Groundhog Day: Every February 2, Punxsutawney Phil emerges from his burrow and whether or not he sees his shadow determines if spring will come early. As silly a “holiday” as this may be, it’s a good excuse to pop in Bill Murray’s 1993 film Groundhog Day, which is based off of the Punxsutawney Phil tradition. While the movie is by and large a comedy, it’s a comedy with a lot of heart.
- Selma: February also happens to be Black History Month, and we can’t think of a better way to brush up on your black history than by watching a film based on one of the most critical events of the Civil Rights movement—Selma. As a refresher, the film covers Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama in 1965.
- Valentine’s Day: This comedy offering an A-list cast—Jessica Alba and Bradley Cooper to name a few—and various intertwining story lines was disparaged by critics, but loved by moviegoers. And we can see why—it was a lot of fun. That’s why it makes for a great movie to check out in February, perhaps around the holiday of the same name.
- Frozen: Is there ever a bad time to watch Frozen? No, there really isn’t, and this is especially true during the month of the year when a lot of Americans are likely to relate to the film’s title thanks to winter. This family-friendly classic will make winter a lot more tolerable.
- Hoosiers: February also marks a big time of year for basketball, as the high school basketball playoffs are in swing and the month also serves as the precursor to the NCAA’s March Madness. On that note, get pumped to watch your favorite team by enjoying this classic basketball flick starring Gene Hackman.
As you can see, while February may be bland from a weather perspective (and from a Hollywood perspective), there’s still a lot of good, timely movies you can re-watch. And why not watch them in a unique, fun new way, like on an inflatable movie screen? It’s a great way to put a new twist on an old favorite. For more information, contact us today.