No snack is more synonymous with the movies than popcorn. Not only is it delicious, but it doesn’t crunch when you eat it, thereby allowing you to conveniently hear the movie audio as you snack. And while popcorn isn’t the most healthy thing for you to eat, everything is OK so long as it’s consumed in moderation.
One big benefit to hosting a movie night at home compared to venturing out to the cinema, however, is that you’re not bound by the movie theater popcorn – you can experiment with different types of popcorn and different types of toppings to put on it. We’ve put together our favorite toppings and popcorn types for you to try out on your next movie night.
10 Great Popcorn and Toppings
- Butter: Why not kick things off with the most popular – and arguably the most delicious – topping? Despite the tastiness of butter, it has two major disadvantages, however – it’s not exactly healthy for you and it can get to be quite messy.
- Kettle Korn: Instead of traditional popcorn, try out this twist on the classic. Kettle korn, specifically, is a sweeter and saltier version of popcorn that’s usually seasoned with a combination of salt, oil, and a touch of sugar.
- Hot Sauce: This one is a bit of a unique topping, but certainly worth a try. Just mix two tablespoons of hot sauce with two tablespoons of butter and toss with popcorn.
- Mac and Cheese: Another innovative topping is that of macaroni and cheese. Specifically, just open up a box of store-bought macaroni and cheese and sprinkle the cheese sauce on the popcorn. Yummy!
- Caramel Corn: It’s sweet, crunchy, and delicious. It’s caramel corn, and the ingredients of brown sugar, corn syrup, then baking the treat make it a delicious alternative to traditional popcorn.
- Chili Seasoning: If you’re in the mood for a spicy treat, try topping your popcorn with chili seasoning. A quarter cup should do the trick just right, and we also recommend adding a tablespoon or two of vinegar.
- Ranch: Pick up some ranch dressing mix and mix a tablespoon or two of it in with unsalted butter to get this seasoning.
- Paprika: If you’re in the mood for some spice, add a few tablespoons of paprika to your popcorn. Choose from either hot or mild, depending on how spicy you want it to be.
- Salt: Like butter, this is another topping staple. Also like butter, it’s not exactly a healthy topping.
- Oreos: Nothing quite goes together like popcorn and cookies, right? OK, so maybe not, but if you’re feeling adventurous, take a handful of Oreos and crumble them up. Then, sprinkle them into any popcorn mix. Who knows, you just might like it. We certainly do.
If you are really daring check out this video on how these two guys make popcorn:
Now that you have a menu of popcorn at your disposal, it’s time to focus on the movie and where you’ll be watching it. For something truly unique and fun, give an inflatable screen a shot. They can be positioned in places like your backyard and can help make a fun movie night even more enjoyable.